Friday, June 10, 2011

Setting Up A Primary Domain Controller PDC with Linux eBox

Setting up a Primary Domain Controller couldn't be easier! I was looking for a way to be able to have one logon with the same settings and shared files and folders. I thought that it would be fun to achieve this through a small domain controller that would allow me to log onto a domain vs. a local computer.

Now I could have done this with a windows server but I just don't had the money for that. Also you have to pay a hole lot more if you want anymore the like five clients.

So I researched and found a free open source alternative. It was called eBox, it goes by a different name now but I though eBox was easier to remember.

eBox is basically like a Windows server. Everything is wizard and GUI based. The cool thing is that it runs on a stripped down version of Ubuntu and it's all administered trough a web browser.

So I installed, on VMWare, and chose to set up and office environment server. This allowed mento run a mail server and a PDC server. It now works like a charm. (I hope to later post a how to guide on setting up an eBox server. Just subscribe to email updates in the top right hand margin to be notified of future posts!)

So if you need an easy to configure free alternative to Windows server I would highly recommend an eBox server.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...