Saturday, February 11, 2012

OpenVPN Sucks

I was very interested in OpenVPN. I was looking for a good secure solution to access of home network from outside of it. So I proceeded to attempt to instal OpenVPN... Well that didn't go very well.

I was easily able to set up and get the OpenVPN AS server set up because that was just a VMWare image that I could download and add to VMWare workstation. Installing a client was the hard part.

I initially wanted to be able to access this VPN with my Android phone. So I followed some guide on the Internet, all of which sucked... None of them told me how to configure anything... Most of them simply told me to copy my configuration files form the Windows client to the phone and use those. Well I would have done that be where do I find out how to configure the Windows client now? That was another mess.

So after I failed to configure the Windows client I just gave up. Be what is pissing me off is that  I had to install some applications to my rooted Android phone to be able to access the OpenVPN software. We'll these new applications and no way to be installed and apparently take up over 50MB so my little optimums V now has about 2MB of free space on it... So now I have to re-flash it... So annoying...

My recommendation is to just not even think about OpenVPN. It is crap. I will just go back and use the PPTP server built into my dd-wrt router. It may be less secure but it's so much easier to set up. If you have any questions about what I did, please let me know and I would be happy to tell you what now to do, XD.

2 comments:

  1. Ohh boy, this was over a year ago.... I recently have OpenVPN another try and it's awesome! Works like a charm and has an app for my phone!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...