Monday, May 30, 2011

Avast Causing Network Problems? Slow network transfers with large files.

I just reconfigured my data server because it was begging to become cluttered with old software. I also thought that it would fix my slow network transfer speeds. I am running a 100Mbps network so I shouldn't have to wait days to copy over a few gigabytes.

So after re-installing Windows on the server I installed all of the necesary software that the server usually runs, Orb, VMware Server, Zumocast, UltraVNC, etc. I also installed Avast.

I now wanted to copy some movies over to a shared network folder. I went to copy about 20GB worth of media. I was able to get about half way through the transfer and it just froze and hung there. I was very aggravated because I just wanted to copy some files over, nothing complicated.

I then realized that Avast has a network monitor, I was wondering if that caused my problem. I decided to uninstall Avast from the server and next thing you know it I didn't have any more problems with my network. Even though I still ran Avast on the client computer. My best guess was that the old server did not have the processor or RAM power that was necessary to scan large amount of network traffic. I now have AVG running on the server instead of Avast and it so far appears to be operating just as normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...