Wednesday, May 18, 2011

BOOTMGR Error! - Solution! + Partitioning Errors In Windows 7

So today I thought that I would re-size the partitions on the main hard drive that's in my current Windows 7 build. Now just for some background information, I have my hard drive in two partitions. One for system files and another for all of my personal files. I do this in case of an OS crash and the need to re-install the operating system. I don't have to go through and find all of my files. They are all in once place and I only need to wipe one partition. Anyway... trying not to get off topic... I wanted to remove some of the space from the operating system partition and relocate it to my personal files partition.

So I decided to use the built in disk manager, that was my first mistake, to shrink the OS volume. I was able to do that. The hard part was extending the secondary partition using the freed up space. To my surprise this could not be done. So that made me angry.

I ended up downloading GParted and using that. Before using GParted I had to reboot my computer to finalize the crap I did with the Windows partitioning software.When I rebooted I received an error about my BOOTMGR. To be honest I have no clue what that is other then a boot manager.

To fix this problem I just used my Windows 7 installation disk and started the recovery mode on the disk. This automatically fixed that problem! :)

So after all that I was finally able to use GParted to get my hard drive partitions to the correct sizes that I was seeking out for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...