Thursday, June 9, 2011

Did I actually brick an iTouch 4th Generation?

Many people jump to the conclusion that they have bricked something and it will never work again. This is because they usually do not have the technological knowledge.

Wikipedia puts it as "In the strictest sense of the term, bricking must imply that software error has rendered the device completely unrecoverable without some hardware replacement"

That states that "bricking" a device means that it will most likely never work again. Most of the time when something goes wrong you can just reset it. That was not the solution with my friends iTouch.

I went to jailbreak it for his as a favor. I have done this to my third generation using GreenPosi0n so I thought that it probably wouldn't be any harder to do with his. I double checked that GreenPosi0n supported the firmware on the iTouch and then I went to jailbreak. I plugged in, entered DFU mode, and clicked Jailbreak. It worked for a while and loaded some code. After about two minutes the program said that the device had been successfully jail broken. I unplugged the device, which had nothing on the screen, from the computer and tried to turn it on. It wouldn't boot.

I was like, ok something went wrong. Restore and try again. I plugged into iTunes to do a full restore. The strange thing was that the device was already in DFU mode. So just to be sure nothing was wrong I help down home and power to completely turn off the device. I then plugged it back into iTunes and again, it was stuck in DFU mode. I was worried. This didn't seen right. 

I just went ahead and let iTunes do its thing, restore the iTouch. Once the restore had completed iTunes said that the device would reboot. The device did but one again iTunes reported it as in DFU mode and nothing would display on the iPods screen.

I went and tried just about every other trick in the book to get the thing fixed, TinyUmbrella recovery fix, etc; but nothing worked. I believed that I had actually bricked the iPod. I asked around on the Internet about what I should do next and they all said that I should try to take it to Apple and get it fixed. I wasn't sure if they would even look at it due to the jail-breaking.

I just gave it back to my friend and told him the situation. He said that he would try to bring it to Apple to see if they could do anything to fix it. I hope that he can get it fixed. It has been a week and I have still not heard from him.

What's the moral of the story here? Apple sucks. XD

2 comments:

  1. If it's still within a year warranty , or he has a 2 year apple care plan, apple will fix it! If not he might be out of luck! Apple won't give u the time of day if not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Davis!

    I told him to take it to Apple, it's just that since there were attempts on jailbreking it I wonder if Apple will still accept the warranty.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...